We are seeking an Associate Soft Goods Designer who is comfortable with an industrial sewing machine, capable of creating patterns and sewing, and has an extensive understanding of seams and hardware attachment. The ideal candidate will have mechanical knowledge relevant to soft goods production, be familiar with tech pack creation, and possess a creative mindset to contribute to the design of Tsuga's mountain biking packs and outdoor gear. This position involves sketching, prototyping, and contributing to design development projects. Additionally, the Associate Soft Goods Designer will occasionally operate the CNC cut table, which includes training on the job.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design Support: Collaborate closely with the design team to contribute to the development of innovative outdoor gear and soft goods. Assist in translating design concepts into technical fabric design, cutting patterns, and precise seam allowance to ensure high-quality and functional products.
- Design Allocation: Allocate approximately 70% of work time to design-related tasks, including sketching, prototyping, and exploring new techniques to continually improve product aesthetics and functionality.
- Cut Table Management: Take ownership of the CNC cut table (15%), overseeing fabric and plastic cutting operations to ensure efficient and accurate material preparation for production.
- Production & Sewing Assistance: Dedicate approximately 15% of work time to supporting production processes, including sewing and other aspects related to the manufacturing of soft goods.
- Innovative Design Approaches: Proactively seek and propose innovative approaches to design, material usage, and production processes, aiming to elevate product quality and customer satisfaction.
- Be a Learner: Exhibit a strong sense of self-motivation and a passion for learning, staying abreast of industry trends, and continuously improving design and technical skills.
- Physical Requirements: Possess the physical capability to stand for extended periods, up to 90% of the workday, and handle the lifting of rolls of fabric weighing between 50 to 100 lbs.
- Starting Hourly Base: $20-$25/hr
- Based on the candidate's skill set and reevaluated after 90 days dependent on performance
- Employee discount on Tsuga products
- Pro deals from other brands
- Flexible schedule
- On-the-job training
- Paid Holidays
- Education: Textile Design degree or 3-5 years of commensurate experience in soft goods design
- If you feel over-experienced or over-qualified, reach out anyways and let’s talk!
- Experience with industrial sewing and pattern making
- Familiarity with 3D parametric modeling and experience in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign is a plus
- Active Lifestyle, ideally likes to ride and has knowledge of the bike or outdoor industry
Culture & Schedule:
- Tsuga offers a clean, modern factory environment with a non-toxic, open-minded culture
- Full Time: Monday - Friday
- Enjoy a flexible schedule, choosing 8 working hours within an available 12-hour window